Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Painting the Roses Red

Well, this post has nothing to do with roses or the color red, but it does involve a little painting.

I read Young House Love, like the rest of America, and these last couple weeks, the lovable couple that writes the blog started an initiative to get those little projects that they've been putting off done. AKA the "Dude, Get On That Already" Challenge. So, I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and give it a try too.

My biggest area of procrastination is painting. I tend to start projects and then finish them up...months later. I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty great at procrastinating.

So, here's how my little project started.

This half wall between my living room and kitchen had many large holes that had been patched up quite poorly by the previous owner, and it was an unattractive shade of mustard. I set about to remedy both woes.

First, I used my electric sander with a fine grit paper to smooth out the patch jobs. Then, I filled in some of the holes that my sander made – oops. Be careful if you ever decide to take your sander to the wall. I am guessing this is something that Bob Villa would not recommend.

Then, I rolled some water-based primer over the whole thing and finished up with a couple coats of the wall color. I decided to paint this wall the same color as all the other walls. I like accent walls in other peoples' homes, but for some reason, they don't jive with me in my own house. Go figure.

Here's the end result! I'm still working on painting all the trim white. Given my tendency to put things off, I will have my 'after' pictures available for you in mid to late 2018. 

Do you have any projects you've been putting off? Were you waiting for a little push or reminder to get to it?


No comments:

Post a Comment